Tuesday 31 January 2012

Rest Up!

I've made it blatantly clear to those that I work with of my outlook: if you can't handle going out the night before, don't. Don't get me wrong, I have dabbled in my share of drinks and debauchery the eve of an early work morning a time or twenty. But if the cause of your punishment is self-inflicted I have absolutely no sympathy. Put on your pretty face, fake smile, and make it through your shift with only wanting to jump into oncoming traffic a handful of times. We've all been there, you're not the first and you sure won't be the last.

There is, however, something to be said for trying to work on a brutal nights' sleep. It is virtually impossible to work in an environment that requires you to smile, be coherent, and go above and beyond the expectation. It's impossible. I am fairly confident that I never actually woke up throughout the entire day today and luckily enough my job has become second nature that although running on E, I was also functioning on auto-pilot.

Going through the motions is relatively easy it's being personable, however, where the challenge arises. Not to mention the fact that things you would normally let slide any other day make you want to smack the lips right off more than a handful of people's faces. You be the judge.

This morning, a customer, a rude customer from the word "go" had the audacity to ROLL HER EYES AT ME when I informed her we only had one variety of muffin. Well ma'am, I do apologize. This is solely my fault that my company only chooses to carry one variety of muffin.

"Just an FYI, I'm fairly certain a muffin isn't as great for you as you think it is so you might as well eat any of the other 400 calorie options in my pastry case. Grow up and get a grip. Stop hating me because your life sucks." Is what I would have liked to say. But like any other day: we just smile, and nod.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, sometimes it's hard to resist the temptation of thirsty Thursday!
    and I'm sure that customer would be happy to know that -most coffee shops- carry more than one type of muffin now! oh how the times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday Funday, Double up Monday, Marry the night Tuesday, Bikini Wednesday, you name it. We've all been there. Basically if you can think up a catchy name or alliterate a day of the week it's just another excuse to drink but you gotta be able to suck it up the next day. It's called work for a reason. When your friends ask you what you're doing the next day your response isn't "oh I'm going to stand around and do nothing" it's "I have to work." Do it then.

    ReplyDelete